Rally and demonstration in Tokyo during Hu Jintao's state visit to Japan
video for this rally (Thanks YUTA ARIMA)
This rally and demonstration is co-planned by the Save Tibet Network and TSNJ. Further details are available at the Save Tibet Network web pages
Press Releases: http://save-tibet-network-pressrelease.blogspot.com
One month has passed since the violent suppression of the demonstrations
that started in Lhasa on March 10th. Although the focus of Japan's news media has switched from "what is happening in Tibet" to "Olympic torch troubles", the situation in Tibet continues to worsen.
Under the facade of "public safety" many Temples and ethnic Tibetan residential areas have been sealed off. Without food or water there have begun to be deaths due to starvation. A young boy was gunned down while trying to bring food to
family members in the hospital when he ventured outside. On top of house-to-house searches, people are forcibly incarcerated and tortured without as much as a single witness or warrant for arrest. Hundreds of monks are loaded onto trucks, imprisoned then shot. Forced reeducation (including corporal
punishment and image trampling) is carried out at schools and temples, ethnic Tibetan schools are forcibly closed, and the use of armed force by the
Chinese government, a clamp down on human rights and freedom of
religion, has been getting worse since March.
So we, who are fortunate enough to live in Japan where we have freedom of expression, in the midst of this worsening situation need to speak out
for the Tibetans who cannot do so in their own country. We must do this before Tibet vanishes.
On May 6th we will have a rally and demonstration. The reason for this is that it marks the first official state visit of Hu Jintao since the crackdown in Tibet that started in March. The world will be watching, so this is an excellent opportunity.
We welcome all those who love peace, democracy and know the importance of human rights. We want to make the demonstration on 5/6 as large as possible, so invite your friends.
Although there is a 1000 person limit where the rally is being held (Nihon Seinankan), so we would like as many people as possible to attend the demonstration at 14:30 (where there is no limit).
- Time and date: May 6th (National Holiday)
- Part 1 - Rally: Doors open at 11:30. Running time 12:30 ~ 14:00
MC: DJ Morley Robertson (J-wave), Yukiko Ikeda (actress)
- Part 2 - Demonstration: 14:30~
- Part 3 - Candlelight vigil
- Place: Nippon Seinenkan (just outside of Ginza line subway, Gaienmae exit)
- There is a 1000 person limit. Entrance on a first-come basis.
- For those who were unable to get in, please do not loiter around the Nippon Seinenkan area. Please wait nearby in Meiji Park. There are a number of flea markets there too.
- You are also welcome to wait in a cafe in Aoyama street and join the Demonstration as it comes by.
- Course: Meiji Park -> right along Gaienmae -> Aoyama street -> right along Omotesando -> Meijijingumae -> Olympic bridge -> Yoyogi park area B.
- We will line up at Meiji park then start at 14:30
- Those who were unable to get into the rally are welcome to join at this time
- After arriving at Yoyogi park, there will be some closing comments made
- We have reserved the Yoyogi park stage from 13:00 ~ 17:00, so feel free to use it
The Save Tibet Network is not an organization, but a network of individuals. Anyone is welcome to participate as an individual. The Save Tibet Network is planning a peaceful demonstration in a spirit of non-violence.
There are flyers here, please pass them out to your friends (JP):