May 5, 2002

    US is not the home country for us, but it is the pseudo home country for Shig and he feels more at home when he enters US from a foreign coutry. Shig felt the same sensation today when he saw lights of Florida in the dark around 5:45am. The ship docked at 7am at a pier of Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. To our surprise, our ship was the 5th cruise ship in the port, and the 6th was following immediately behind us. It was really a capital of cruise ships. Shig finished the US Custom interview on board. The ship wanted us to leave the room early, because the rooms must be clearned quickly to welcome passengers within several hours. The key cards were made invalid and announcement to the room was cut off. So we moved downstairs and waited for instructions for disembarkation. Our turn came around 9:40am. The Captain, VPs of the company, and every major staffs saw us off. We had a little trouble in finding our luggage, but Shig managed to hand some luggage to IPS, a luggage handling company, to be sent directly to Japan, and got on the Hertz coutesy bus with other luggage. A red compact car was ready for us at Hertz with its engine on for air conditioning. Shig got the driving instruction at the office, managed to find the way and negotiated with the hotel, Hyatt Pier 66, for early check-in.

    The hotel was located in the seaside of Ft. Lauderdale. We found Ft. Lauderdale quite unique. Its downtown was normal and common, but its seaside was interlaced with canals with many boats, among gorgeous villas and hotels. After lunch at the hotel, we walked out to the nearest beach. It happened to be the festival day of the air show and the sea show. Military jets flew with great roar above us, sometimes flying upside down, and private motorboats and sailboats did demonstration cruise in a line. The beach was hot but beautiful with white sands like those in Shig's native town. We walked back to the hotel through the streets of villas.

    In early evening, we were picked up by Jane Ambrose, Sue's intimate friend, and her husband, Richard, and we went to a downtown restaurant, Max's, for dinner. Sue wore brownish purple kimono for Jane and she appreciated it very much. We ate much sea food and talked much over the table. It was a very enjoyable dinner.

 米国は勿論我々の母国ではないが、重悳にとっては準母国のようなもので、外国から米国に入るとほっとする。今日5:45am頃暗い中にFloridaの灯を見た時、同じ感情を持った。これでより意思疎通ができ、予測がつく国に来たという安心だ。船は7am頃Florida州Ft. Lauderdaleの埠頭に接岸した。驚いたことに、我々の船は港で5番目のクルーズ船で、6番目が我々のすぐ後から入ってきた。Grand Princesという巨大クルーズ船が一際目立ち、我々の船が小さく見えた。確かにクルーズ船の都と言われるだけのことはある。重悳は船内で米国税関の面接を終えた。船は我々の部屋を早く空けて欲しかった。数時間以内に乗客を迎えるため急いで掃除をする必要があったからだ。それで部屋の鍵カードは早速使えなくなってしまうし、部屋ではアナウンスが聞けなくなってしまった。そこで下の階の公共スペースに降りて下船の指示を待った。我々の順番は9:40am頃来た。船長、会社のVP、主要スタフの全員が我々を見送った。我々の荷物を見つけるのに若干のトラブルがあったが、何とか荷物の一部を運送会社IPSに引き渡して日本直送を頼み、他の荷物と共にHertzレンタカーのバスに乗り込んだ。Hertzでは赤いコンパクトカーがエアコンを掛けて我々を待っていた。道案内をオフィスで得て、一度上げ橋で数分間待たされたが、何とか道を間違えずにドライブし、Hyatt Pier 66というホテルで早めのチェックインの交渉をした。高層ホテルで最上階からの360度の見晴らしが素晴らしい。

 ホテルはFt. Lauderdaleの海辺にあった。Ft. Lauderdaleはユニークな町だ。ダウンタウンは普通だが、海辺では多数のボートを浮かべた運河が豪勢な別荘とホテルの間を縫っている。ホテルでの昼食後我々は近くの海岸に歩いて行った。偶々航空ショー・ボートショーの催しの日だったので、空軍のジェット機が轟音をあげて時々は裏返しになりながら頭上を飛び、個人所有のモータボートとヨットが一列になってデモ行進をしていた。海岸は暑かったが重悳の故郷山口県光市のような白い砂が美しかった。ただ押し寄せる大西洋の波はさすがに大きかった。スミヱは海岸の松林のウロに住むオウムの一種らしい緑の野鳥のつがいが仲良く鳴いているのを見つけた。綺麗な別荘が並ぶ通りを抜けてホテルに戻った。

 夕方早い時間にホテルでスミヱの親友Jane Ambroseとご主人のRichardに会い、ダウンタウンのレストランMax'sに夕食に行った。スミヱはJaneのためにと言って茶系紫の着物を着たが、Janeはそれを大変喜んだ。海の幸を沢山食べ、沢山話をして非常に楽しいディナだった。

May 6, 2002

    Our breakfast was instant noodle. We must decrease the bulky contents in the suite case. After returning to the room 3 times to fetch what Shig forgot to bring, we finally left the hotel at 9:15am for Everglades National Park. We used a map software and GPS on a laptop computer powered by a car battery converter. While it was not easy for Sue to hold a PC on the lap, GPS worked fine and was found very helpful. Before we left Japan, Shig asked Mr. Y. Uchida how best to see Everglades National Park. He recommended to visit the north side at Shark Valley, rather than the south side at Flamingo. We followed his advice and reached the Shark Valley Visitor's Center at 10:30am.

    We took a two-hour tram tour of 11am. In the first half, we couldn't see anything except flying birds and weeds in the vast plain. The guide earnestly explained about those, but we were not so much excited. We reached an observation tower at the southern end of the trail. We climbed up the tower, and then took a walk in a short walk trail. There were many alligators, herons, and turtles, and we were satisfied. We were told that this trail was originally constructed by an oil company which abandoned and returned the land to US Government because the oil had too much sulfur, and that the dry river bed we saw had much water and, therefore, animals until weeks ago.

    We drove out to the highway Route 41 and looked for an air boat service in the Indian Reservation north of the Route 41, and ended up with a service hut operated by the former chief of Miccosukee Indian tribe, named "Buffalo Tiger". Sue took a picture with him. The air boat ride was an exciting experience. The boat was powered by an airplane engine and a propeller and it glided on the water, weeds, lotus flowers and even some mud. Birds and alligators came near the boat because the driver feeded them with bread. The driver took us to an island "Tear's Island" in the swamp where an Indian family lived until 40 years ago. We spent tranquil time in one of the thatched huts listening to wind, birds and alligators.

    We returned to the hotel around 4:15pm, to pick up a phone message, actually left yesterday, of invitation to a carefree dinner from Jane and Richard. We managed to get to a big gorgeous house there and enjoyed the dinner with Richard and Jane, their brothers and sisters, their offsprings, and neighbors. Probably they also enjoyed having a dinner with rare visitors from Japan with unique topics to talk about. We returned to the hotel after 10pm.

 インスタント麺で朝食とした。スーツケースの中で場所をとっているものを減らしたいから。重悳の忘れ物を3度も取りに帰った後9:15amにホテルを発ちEverglades国立公園に向かった。車のバッテリからのコンバータで電源をとったラップトップ上で、地図ソフトとGPSを使った。パソコンを抱えていたスミヱは楽ではなかったが、GPSはうまく働いてくれて非常に助かった。日本でカーナビに慣れてしまったので、こういうものがどうしても欲しかった。日本を発つ前に内田義昭氏にEverglades国立公園をどう見れば一番いいかを聞いてきた。彼のアドバイスによれば、南側のFlamingo(という場所)よりも北側のShark Valleyの方がいいというので、そのアドバイスに従いShark ValleyのVisitor's Centerに10:30amに到着した。


 41号線に出て、道路の北側のインディアン保留地でAir Boatサービスを探し、結局Buffalo Tigerという名のMiccosukee族の元酋長のサービス小屋に着いた。スミヱは彼と写真を撮った。Air Boatは面白い経験だった。 ボートは航空機のエンジンとプロペラを積んでいて、水の上だろうと、草や睡蓮の花の上だろうと、泥の上ですら滑走する。鳥やワニが船に寄ってくるのは、運転手がパンを与えるからだ。運転手自身がMiccosukee族のようだった。彼は我々をTear's Islandという沼地の中の島に案内した。そこには40年前までインディアンの家族が暮らしていたそうで、我々は茅葺の小屋の一つに腰を下ろして静寂の時を過ごし、風の音、鳥の鳴き声、鰐の呼び声に耳を傾けた。

 4:15pmにホテルに戻り、電話の伝言を聞いてみると、Jane & Richard が昨夜入れた夕食への招待だった。何とか大きな華麗な家にたどりつき、夕食を楽しんだ。Richard & Jane、彼らの兄弟姉妹、その子供たち、それにご近所の人が一緒だった。彼らも多分日本からの珍客との夕食を、変わった話題とともに楽しんでくれたと思う。ホテルには10pm過ぎに戻った。

May 7, 2002

    We drove out of the hotel at 9am for Miami. We drove in congestion and arrived at the famous Miami Seaquarium around 10:20am. We visited there for the first time. The first show we saw was by sea lions. We watched it together with many primary school pupils. Then we looked around other ponds and went to the dolphin show beginning at 11:20am. It was much more interesting than the sea lion show, probably because of dolphin's better intelligence and agility. Then we drove to the Beachside Marketplace in the midst of Miami downtown. After we walked in the mall, we drove to Miami Beach and made a little walk again through the shopping street, Linclon Road. The atmosphere was like that in Singapore.

    We took I-95 to return to Ft. Lauderdale. Then troubles began. We could not find the way to Hertz rent-a-car return located in the other side of US1 from the airport. We drove on US1 several times back and forth to try various roads which took us to different places, until finally we found the only entrance far more south on US1 than the Hertz return location and hence than where we were trying. It was wise that we had ample time margin. There were a lot of road construction going on. Finding the way might become easier when construction would be completed.

    At the airport, we were forced by Continental to use electronic check-in using our receipt cards of "E-Tickets", without sufficient instructions. For instance, credit card was requested in the beginning even though we have already purchased the tickets. We didn't know why but it was just for personal identification. Why don't say so on the screen !! Then security check was another nuisance. Any small metal was detected, like a ball point pen and Shig's shoes which seemed to have iron nails near the soles. There were two strange things. On the display of departure flights, we found several flights including ours leaving the same gate at the same time. And we got the seat assignment of 2A and 2F. Why A and F ? Soon we learnt that our flight was actually operated by a small airline named Gulfstream International Airlines, but code-shared by Continental, United and American. The airplane was a small Beech 1900D accommodating 19 people, thus 2A and 2F were adjacent seats. The two propeller plane flew smoothly over Miami, Everglades National Park and Keys, to reach Key West at 5:15pm. We took a cab to Hyatt Key West.

    We walked out. The hotel was facing the beach. There were interesting shops on the streets. Sue bought a hibiscus perfume at a shop "Key West Aloe". While we were walking along the streets, Shig noticed a signboard "Sunset cruise" and asked what it was. As Sue was interested in it we bought two tickets. But, to our surprise, the boat was located 300m away ready to leave in 10 minutes. We made haste to catch it. The cruise was interesting. Although we didn't take, drinks were offered for free. After getting out of the port by the engine, the two-hull boat raised a sail in the offing to head for south into the ocean. The ship sailed passing by a big docked cruise ship "Rhapsody of the Seas", which looked the same as "Enchantment of the Seas" docked acrossed the pier from our ship at Ft. Lauderdale. The sail ship actually sailed back and forth on the ocean to wait for the sunset. At 7:55pm, the sun set on the clear horizon. During the cruise, a woman talked to us. She was to go to Tokyo soon to work as an English teacher at Nova, and wanted to hear everything about Japan.

    We took a late dinner at a near-by restaurant on the street. Both Shig and Sue took lobsters but of different combination of other food.

 9amにホテルを出てMiamiに向かった。渋滞したが10:20amには有名なMiami水族館に着いた。2人とも初めてここを訪れたことになる。最初に見たのはアシカのショーで、多数の小学生と一緒に見学した。それから他の池を見たが、回遊池に魚を自由に泳がせておく展示法を初めて見た。11:20amからのイルカのショーに行った。イルカの方がアシカよりずっと面白かったのは、多分イルカの方がずっと頭が良くて敏捷だからだろう。それから我々はMiami中心街の真ん中にあるBeachside Marketplaceに行って店を覗いたが、クルーズで沢山買い物をした後だけにもうあまり購買意欲は湧かなかった。その後Miami Beachにドライブしてショッピングの通り"Lincoln Road"でまた一寸散歩した。ここの雰囲気はSingaporeに似ていた。

 I-95を通ってFt. Lauderdaleに戻ったが、それからが大変だった。国道1号線US1をはさんで空港の反対側にあるHertzレンタカーの返却所に行く道を見つけられなかった。US1を何度も行ったりきたりして色々な道をトライしてそれぞれ違う場所に連れて行かれた。やっとUS1上でHertzの位置よりもはるかに南、従って我々が探していた場所よりも南に唯一の入口があることを発見した。こういう目的地と入口が離れているような場合には中途半端なカーナビが反って迷いを生じさせる。充分の時間的余裕を持ってきてよかった。大規模な道路工事が行われていたから、工事が完成すれば道も分かりやすくなるのかも知れない。

 空港ではContinental航空に、充分な説明なしに"E-Tickets"の領収書カードを使って電子的にチェックインするシステムを使うように言われた。例えば冒頭にクレジットカードが要求された。もう航空券は買ってあるのになぜと疑ったが、実は個人認証だけの目的だった。そうならそうと画面に書いておけ!! 目的地を空港コードで入力させられた。Key Westが"EYW"というのが頭に入っていなかったので係に聞かねばならなかった。次に安全チェックがもう一つの問題だった。どんな小さな金属でも検出された。ボールペンでも重悳の靴の踵にあるらしい釘でも。2つ不思議なことがあった。出発便の案内表示に我々の便を含めて数便が同一ゲートを同一時間に発つようになっていた。バスかと思ったがゲートの作りはバスらしくない。また我々の席が2Aと2Fになっていた。なぜAとFなのか? 間もなく分かったところでは、この便は実は小さな航空会社"Gulfstream International Airlines"が運行していて、Continental、United、Americanとコードシェアしていた。また飛行機はBeech 1900Dという小さな飛行機で、19人乗りだったから、2Aと2Fは廊下を挟んで隣同士だった。この双発機は、Miami、Everglades国立公園、Keysの上をスムースに飛び、Key Westに5:15pmに到着した。タクシーでHyatt Key Westに入る。

 少し休んでから徒歩で出掛けた。ホテルは海岸に面していた。町には面白い店があって、その一つでスミヱは"Key West Aloe"という店でハイビスカスの香水を買った。ここでも東京から来た日本人と聞いてから英語がうまいとほめられた。よほど日本人の英語の下手さ加減は有名になっている。通りを歩いていて重悳が"Sunset Cruise"という看板を見つけ何かと尋ねた。スミヱが興味を持ったので切符を2枚購入した。ところが驚いたことにボートは300mも離れた所にあって、あと10分に出航だという。大急ぎで乗り込んだ。このクルーズは面白かった。我々は貰わなかったが、飲み物はただで提供された。エンジンで港を出ると、この双胴船は沖で帆を揚げ、大洋に向かって南に帆走した。接岸している巨大クルーズ船"Rhapsody of the Seas"号の側を帆走した。Ft. Lauderdaleで我々の船の反対側の埠頭に接岸していた"Enchantment of the Seas"と同型のようだった。我が帆船は、実際には大洋で行ったり来たりしながら日没を待った。7:55pmに邪魔のない水平線に太陽が沈んだ。 クルーズの途中で或る女性が話しかけてきた。間もなくNovaの英語教師として東京に行くそうで、日本のあらゆることを聞きたがった。


May 8, 2002

    Shig got up early as usual and waited for the dawn around 6:30am to make a morning walk to "The southernmost point of continental USA" and the "Mile Zero" post of the famous highway US1. Around 9am, we rented a motorbike for two persons. It had the characteristic to speed up abruptly when accelerator was only slightly turned, but otherwise driving of the motorbike was smooth and enjoyable. We set out for the southernmost point, this time together with Sue.

    We went to Hemingway Home, where he wrote most of his books. Sue, as a BS in English literature, appreciated it very much. We looked around the living quarters, a separate building where his study used to be, and the first swimming pool in Key West into which Hemingway pressed a penny to illustrate that he had used his money up to his last penny to complete the pool. In front of Hemingway Home, there was a lighthouse museum. An old lighthouse built in mid-19th century and rebuilt in late 19th century was there and the life of the lighthouse keeper family was preserved in a museum. It was suprising that the life of the keeper family was much better off in America at least in the 19th century, than its counterpart in Japan. We, of course, climbed up to the top of the lighthouse. Then we visited Harry Truman Museum. It was interesting that he erected his museum here in Key West. Near there was Mel Fisher Museum. Mr. Mel Fisher had become a hero in Key West by finding and salvaged old wrecked ships to retrieve treasures. We found interesting replicas of retrieved Spanish gold and silver coins worked as ornaments for ladies. Sue bought a pendant head of silver coin of 2 Reals. We then returned the bike and checked out of the hotel at noon.

    We took lunch at a restaurant facing a marina. Then we window-shopped along the street and visited another museum, an aquarium and Mallory Square where the sunset festival was held every evening. We called a taxi and went to the airport. Now both Shig and Sue were more accustomed to the extensive security check and managed to pass without troubles.

    Shig visited Key West 39 years ago just for curiocity of visiting the southernmost city of US. After that Shig wrote an essey which started with "Key West is a dull town. Nobody would dare to visit there if it didn't have the title of the southernmost town." Not at all these days. Key West was found an active sightseeing and resort city. In these 39 years, probably, American people have changed to spend more money and time in leisures.

    The plane on our way back was operated by Continental Connection this time, but the airplane was of the same model as what we got on yesterday. The plane flew again over Everglades National Park as it did yesterday. The Everglades National Park was found a vast flat limestone bed, on which some thin soil deposited. This limestone bed seemed to extend to Keys, and there was a strange view in which it was hard to tell the land from the lakes or the sea. We arrived at Ft. Lauderdale airport earlier than scheduled and checked-in again in Hyatt Pier 66.


 Hemingwayの家に行った。彼は作品のほとんどをここで書いたという。英文学士のスミヱはこれを殊の外喜んだ。生活空間、彼の書斎があった別棟、Key Westで最初のプールなどを見て回り、売店で小冊子を買った。プールにはHemingwayが1ペンス硬貨を押し込んでプール完成のために最後の1ペンスまで使い果たしたと言ったという硬貨があった。猫好きなHemingwayは常に数十匹飼っていたそうだが、今でもその子孫が十数匹居た。Hemingwayの家の真ん前に、灯台博物館があった。19世紀半ばに建てられ19世紀末に改築された古い灯台があり、灯台守の家族の生活が博物館として保存展示されていた。米国では、少なくとも19世紀には、灯台守の家族の生活が日本の清貧の「喜びも悲しみも幾年月」よりずっと恵まれていたらしいことに驚いた。勿論灯台にはテッペンまで上り、Hemingwayの家を初め周囲360度の展望を楽しんだ。それから元大統領のHarry Truman博物館に行った。ここKey Westに彼が博物館を建てたことは興味深い。その近くにMel Fisher博物館があった。Mel Fisher氏は難破船を探して引き上げ宝物を見つけたことでKey Westの英雄になった人だそうだ。引き上げた古いスペインの金貨と銀貨を複製して女性の装身具に加工したものに興味を持ち、スミヱは 2 Real銀貨のペンダントヘッドを買った。時間になったのでスクータを返却し、チェックアウト時間の正午にホテルを出た。

 マリナに面したレストランで昼食をとり、街でウィンドウショッピングをし、美術歴史博物館と水族館を見た。毎晩「日没フェスティバル」が行われるというMallory Squareを訪れた。昨夜は船から日没を見てしまったからどんな催しか知らない。タクシーで空港に行った。重悳もスミヱも今や徹底した安全チェックに慣れ、重悳は最初から靴を脱いだ。何とか問題なく通過した。

 重悳はKey Westを39年前に訪れている。米国最南端の町を訪ねたいという好奇心からだった。その後重悳は次のような書き出しの随筆を書いて寄稿した。「Key Westは物憂い町だ。米国最南端の町というタイトルがなければ誰も敢えて訪れようとはしないだろう」 実際何も無い最果ての町だった。今ではとんでもない。Key Westは盛んな観光リゾート都市だった。この39年間に多分米国人が変わって、レジャーに金と時間をより費やすようになったからだろう。

 帰りの飛行機は今度はContinental Connectionの運行だったが、機体は昨日乗ったのと同型だった。19人乗りに今日は8人しか乗っていなかった。飛行機は昨日と同様再びEverglades国立公園の上を飛んだ。Everglades国立公園は広大で真っ平らな石灰岩の地盤に僅かな土が載っていることがよく分かった。この石灰岩の地盤がKeyの島々まで伸びているようで、どこまでが陸でどこまでが湖・海か分からないような不思議な光景だった。つまりほとんど平坦だから少し水位が変わると陸が湖や海になる。予定より早くFt. Lauderdaleに到着し再びHyatt Pier 66にチェックインした。

[Previous Report] [Next Report] [World Cruise Index]